Tuesday, June 11, 2013

China Cabinet Turned Wine Cabinet

I bought this china cabinet at a yard sale back in September.
 It had some issues.
 It looked as though it may have had some water damage.
But, for $25, I couldn't pass it up!
The lower doors were in especially bad shape...


The bottom was also in bad shape and I opted to remove it...

As soon as I bought it, and knowing I was going to lose the doors, I decided I wanted to turn it into a wine cabinet.
So, I enlisted my son to help. For Mother's Day, he had promised to help me build "stuff" while he's home for the summer from college.

We considered different ideas for building the wine rack.
The least expensive and best looking alternative was to cut pieces of wood to the correct size and then cut half circles in the wood.
The front pieces have a half circle cut to hold the 
neck of wine bottles.
The back pieces have a half circle big enough to hold the 
base of the bottles.

He used small "L" brackets to attach each of the pieces of wood to form the rack. Then I stained the wood to match the cabinet...



The shelves in the upper part of the cabinet were too thin to be able to attach the wine glass brackets. So, my son took the shelf from the lower part of the cabinet that we were no longer going to use, and cut it to fit the top half. 
He then added the wine glass brackets so we would be able to hang glasses inside the cabinet.


The wine cabinet turned out better than I imagined.
 The best part was working on this project with my son!
Plus, now he's excited to build more "stuff"!

Pin It

Linking To:
 Someday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Yesterday On Tuesday, Fabric Bows & More, Ginger Snap Crafts, Beyond The Picket Fence, Primitive & Proper, Creations By KaraPrimp, Rae Gun Ramblings, Adventures In Dinner, Ivy & Elephants, The Artsy Girl ConnectionSeven Thirty Three, Southern Lovely, Delightful Order, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Happy Hour Projects, Joyful Stamper, Chic On a Shoestring, Miss Mustard Seed, Blissful Bucket List, Ladybird Lane, Simply Sweet Home, One Artsy Mama, The Shabby Nest, Craft Junkie Too, A Little Knick Knack, The Vintage Farmhouse, House of Hepworths, Momnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs Olson, Simply Designing, Truly Lovely, Create Craft Love, The Cottage Market, Country Momma Cooks, Funky Junk Interiors, Six Sisters' Stuff, Bowdabra, Addicted 2 Decorating, Tatertots & Jello, Young & Crafty Blissful & Domestic, Nap Time Crafters, A Vision To Remember, To Sew With Love, Boogieboard Cottage, Lovely Crafty Home, DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Etcetorize, DIY Home Sweet Home, Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House, Pinkapotamus, Lines Across, Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts, Chef In Training, The Farmhouse Porch, Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, Natural Mothers Network, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Me & My Boys, Mad In Crafts, Alderberry Hill, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeLil' Luna, Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie, The Trendy Treehouse, Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101, Craftionary, 5 Days 5 Ways Lamb Around Domestically Speaking, Tales Of A Trophy Wife, The Kurtz Corner, Fine Craft Guild Katies Nesting Spot, Hubby Made Me, The Thriftiness Miss, Homespun HappeningsCurb Alert,   It's Overflowing, C.R.A.F.T., The Sasse Life, Finding Fabulous, The Answer Is Chocolate, Sugar and Dots, Sarahndipities, Skip To My Lou, Sumos Sweet Stuff, The Thrifty Home, Or So She Says, Diana Rambles, Adorned From AboveCedar Hill Ranch, Classy Clutter, Flutter Buster, Crafty Texas Girls, Twelve O Eight, Daisy Cottage Designs, Snappee Turtle, If It's Not Baroque, Sassy Little Lady, Nap Time Creations, The Shady Porch, Life We Live 4, JoJo And Eloise, Hope In Every Season, The Foley Fam, Pieced Pastimes, PJH Designs, Housewife How Tos, House Of Hoff, Hickory Trail, Our Home Away From Home, Living Well Spending LessMiss Mustard Seed, Remodelaholic, Cherished Bliss

21 comments:

  1. I think this is absolute GENIUS!! My son and DIL are looking for a tall, fairly narrow wine cabinet. I just have to help them find a narrow china closet. Thanks so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I have just one question - Why are all of the wine bottles empty? Thanks for coming by and sharing! I always look forward to seeing what you're going to link up.

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous!!! What a fantastic find, if only the old owners could see it now!! You left a sweet comment about my desk chair, so I came to check you out and what a nice surprise...I'm off to check out more posts:)
    XO,
    Christy
    Confessionsofaserialdiyer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is beautiful. Such a great idea!
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing transformation! I was looking at those doors and thinking it was a goner. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I am co-hosting this week on the Fluster's Creative Muster Party. Thanks for sharing your creations with us! I hope you found inspiration in all of the terrific posts.

    I host a (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop and a TGIF Link Party at my place -- A Peek Into My Paradise... http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to link up and follow if you like what you see. =) I follow back - I love making new friends!

    I can't wait to see what you link up next week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wine cabinet looks gorgeous and will be so useful! it holds a lot! It's great,working with your son, and he did a wonderful job!
    Maybe my grandson after taking shop at school this year, will work on some projects with me this summer! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment! Have a great summer! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out beautifully!! What a creative idea to use it for a wine rack. You're also lucky to have such a great son to help you "build stuff" while he is home. ;) Love it!

    We would love for you to link this up with us at Living Well Spending Less! You can link up any of your thrifty projects each Thursday - we would love to have you join us! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing this wine cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great way to repurpose an old piece of furniture. Plus, the lovely mother-son bonding time in creating it! I'm visiting from the Pretty Life in the Suburbs link party.

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!! You sure did make that look amazing! What a great idea!

    Smiles,
    Rachael
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this looks great! Thanks for linking up with HickoryTrail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turned out great! Its always good doing family projects together. Look forward to more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a genius idea! I will never look at damaged doors and drawers the same :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow..that is awesome. It is a beautiful piece of furniture now! Great makeover! Thanks for sharing it at the Rock 'N Share! Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch P.S. Will be part of the RNS#45 features this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a Creative Idea. Your new wine cabinet looks amazing. You are lucky to have such a handy and helpful son. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this transformation!! I have a cabinet almost exactly like this one (but in good shape) that I already use for our liquors, etc! Now you've given me the inspiration to go all the way and make the wine rack and put in the glass holder!!

    Saw your feature at The Shady Porch!! Now following you!!

    Kate @ Uniquely Undone
    uniquelyundone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. ummmmmm...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! This is brilliant!!!! I am speechless!!!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really awesome cabinet! And how fun to have the help of your son. My kids love helping me but they're still a little too young to be much help. I think I'll have 2 great helpers when they get a little bigger though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job! She turned into a real beauty. Great to have a son to help you too. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...